To start with first it’s important to know about tanning lotion. So,
What is tanning lotion?
Tanning lotions are of two types indoor and outdoor. Indoor tanning lotion helps to induce tan on the body by producing melanin. Increased blood flow in the skin is proposed purpose of lotion which may stimulate the production of melanin by melanocytes.
Generally, indoor tanning lotions don’t work as sunscreen and also don’t offer protection against the sun. These lotions are specifically formulated to enhance the effect of UV rays.
Here are some best indoor tanning lotions for all skin types
- California Tan Assorted Indoor Tanning Lotion.
- Australian Gold Cheeky Brown Accelerator Plus Bronzer.
- Super Indoor Tanning Bronzer Lotion Packets.
- European Gold Flash Black 200x Indoor Tanning Lotion.
- Neutrogena Build-A- Tan GardualSunless Tanning Lotion.
Benefits of using Indoor Tanning Lotion
- Reduces the risk of skin cancer.
- It helps the body to produce vitamin D.
- Maintain hormonal balance.
- Produces oil in the body.
- Reduces skin scars and stretch mark visibility.
- Helps to lose weight.
Whereas outdoor tanning lotions have natural oils and bronzers that when faces the sun, help darken skin pigmentation. Some outdoor tanning lotions also have SPF sunscreen that protects the skin from harmful UV Rays, but though it is not enough to protect the skin against the sun.
Here are some best outdoor tanning lotions one could easily afford
- Millennium Tanning lotion
- Australian Gold Tan Extender Moisturizer lotion
- Maui Babe Browning Lotion
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen
- Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Sunscreen
- Sun Bum Tanning Sunscreen Moisturizing
- Copper time Tanning Lotion Sunscreen
- Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen
- Somewhere on a Beach Tanning Lotion
- Ed Hardy #Beachtime Dark Indoor Outdoor Coconut Infused Tanning.
Benefits of using Outdoor Tanning Lotion
- Obtain hydrated skin
- Long-lasting results
- Soft skin
- Minimal odor
- Tight and beautiful, bronzed skin
- SPF component
- Less oily skin with no more grease.
How long does Tanning Lotion last?
The self-tanner effect usually lasts 7-10 days because of skin cell turnover. If the tan is caused outside it also fades in a similar time period. When the skin is exposed to the sun it produces melanin kind of pigment which helps to protect the skin from the UV rays. All this results in tan on the skin and how long it lasts merely depends on the skin type. Dark and olive skin type will have a tan for longer time whereas fair and beige skin type will fade the tan somewhat faster.
Ways to make Sunless tan last longer
- Before applying self-tanner don’t forget to exfoliate and moisturize the skin
Exfoliating the skin will remove all the dead skin cells and smoothen the skin by creating an even surface for the self-tanner.
- Don’t bath and swim in hot water
Hot water baths are good but it’s not good with sunless tanner. Hot water makes skin dry.
- More Intake of water to keep your skin hydrated from inside out
Water is very much essential for obtaining healthy and moisturized skin. Having lots of water will flush out toxins from the body and will also improve blood circulation within the skin that helps the skin glow.
- Don’t use skin care products like exfoliants and salicylic acid
Some skincare products include these two components that may cause the skin cells to shed more quickly and also take your tan with it.
- Use an illuminating body lotion
It keeps your skin healthy and also maintains tan skin by its shimmer.
- Wear dark clothing and pastels to enhance your tan
Pastel blues and pink enhance warm hues in your skin resulting in the enhancement of your tan.
- Use sunscreen daily
Self-tanner does not increase or extend the amount of melanin in the skin. They can help one by increasing the appearance of the tan. It is important to wear a sunscreen with a minimum of SPF 30 to avoid burning.
Do’s and Don’ts of using Self–Tanner
|Do exfoliate||shave immediately before applying|
|Apply at night||sweat|
|Start with gradual self-tanner||forget to wear gloves
|Do enlist a friend||apply a second coat|
|Wear loose dark clothes||apply much to your face|
|Take recommendations||shower for few hours|
|Shower before stepping out with your tan||Rub off the tan|
Are sunless tanning products safe?
One of the most beneficial properties of self-tanner is that it makes the skin look tanned without exposing it to the sun. When your skin is exposed to the sun in various ways like sunbathe, the skin gets damaged but by using tanning products it’s not needed to use such methods to get a good tan. It’s absolutely safe to use a self-tanner according to skin type.
There are few safety studies for applying self-tanners. There are fewer chances of allergies but lastly, it depends on the skin type and long-lasting effect of self-tanners.
Some of the self-tanning products are sold in the form of pills and food colors. These pills are not safe. When taken in a certain amount, canthaxanthin can turn the skin an orange-brown color, and it can deposit color anywhere in the body, such as the retina of the eye. Canthaxanthin can also cause various inner-body problems.